Category Archives: 30 Second Animation

Second to last Film

Some issues did arise in the film, such as in the first shot when some of the textures didn’t render and Maxine was floating, but despite a few minor issues we were happy with the product.

Things to fix:

  • Floating Maxine
  • Missing textures
  • Maxine’s idle animation in shots 2 and 4
  • Chad’s arm in shot 3
  • Smoke effects in shots 7 and 8

Nyoom

This was a slight error in animation. I tried to parent Maxine to a motion path so she would glide smoothly down the road, but issues with the manipulator tools meant that she would be locked facing left and floating, so we ditched the motion path and instead used basic keyframes.

Animating

I was assigned as head animator for the final product. I stuck as close as possible to our original plans while still incorporating new ideas and methods of movement.

(TheĀ above shot was added because we felt that the anticipation in the following shot was too long, and feedback received informed us that our audience wasn’t sure whether or not Chad’s car was going to move.)

(The car animated)

(Maxine animated)

Chad’s Facial Blendshapes

As Chad was our most expressive character we wanted him to have a variety of facial movements. I was in charge of creating the blendshapes.

Due to Chad’s high poly count, and with the high number of hidden faces I found in the mesh, it was challenging to complete this task, but in the end I succeeded, and Chad’s facial features are expressive and humourous.

Final Textures and Layout

The final render with all the textures and the special lighting passes.
The final render with all the textures and the special lighting passes.

To create the cartoon-ish look for the characters, we wanted to colour Maxine and Chad with flat lamberts.

Looking back at my film from first year, Toasted, where we used almost exclusively lamberts, we failed to see any reason not to use them to create a cartoon-ish effect.

However, when we applied the lamberts we soon discovered that without the harsh, dramatic lighting of Toasted the lamberts appeared muddy and grey. To combat this, Clare discovered a method of lighting and rendering that would allow us to achieve a shiny, highlighted and most importantly, colourful look.
However, when we applied the lamberts we soon discovered that without the harsh, dramatic lighting of Toasted the lamberts appeared muddy and grey. To combat this, Clare discovered a method of lighting and rendering that would allow us to achieve a shiny, highlighted and most importantly, colourful look.
More examples of the new method. Rendering different lights on 3 different layers and then compositing them over each other resulted in our bright and colourful scenes.
More examples of the new method. Rendering different lights on 3 different layers and then compositing them over each other resulted in our bright and colourful scenes.

We used 3 layers:

  • Ambient
  • Directional Lighting
  • Occlusion

Skysphere

 attempt at a skysphere, but the clouds hindered the seamlessness of the texture.
First attempt at a skysphere, but the clouds hindered the seamlessness of the texture.
Second attempt. We lowered the entire image to give way to more sky, but it still didn't look quite right, and the colours were too harsh.
Second attempt. We lowered the entire image to give way to more sky, but it still didn’t look quite right, and the colours were too harsh.
Final skysphere. The blue and yellow sky complimented the colour scheme a lot better than the orange, and the desert texture seemed to meld more naturally into the image, creating a better all round texture.
Final skysphere. The blue and yellow sky complimented the colour scheme a lot better than the orange, and the desert texture seemed to meld more naturally into the image, creating a better all round texture.