So after toiling away for days on end we finally finished this video. The animation was completed by myself, the still battle images (and the editing) were completed by Matthew Hamill and the two stills near the end of the Lightsiders and Darksiders charging at each other were completed by Jennie McWhirter. The type used in the video was written up by John Hay.
Overall I am thrilled with the outcome, though I with I could have had more time to re-do the first few parts of the animation where the Lightsiders and Darksiders are stark black and white. I made their silhouettes a touch cute.
The critique we received was that the black and white look was very atmospheric and that it would have been preferable if it remained so throughout the entirety of the video. That would have meant just using the greyscale tool on the parts with the rustic overlay effect.
I was a little disappointed with the resulting typography. I wrote out everyone’s names on paper in the Lightside/Darkside languages and translated them clearly, yet they somehow got muddled up and people’s names are spelled wrong on several occasions.
The “SplitWorld” written in English at the end of the video was written in a typeface we created the night before hand-in. We were so invested in creating the two distinct languages that we forgot about English. The font we created is legible, though we split each letter in half.
I am also pleased with the musical accompaniment; I think it suits the mood of the video a lot more than the vicious drumbeat we had considered. The violence is harrowing and not fun like a Tarentino movie, and the music reflects that.
Matthew Hamill was the only member of our group that had any musical talent so we decided to take advantage of that and tried to come up with a soundtrack that would include the instruments Matthew could play, which were acoustic guitar, the uke and the harmonica.
This was a video I took when Matthew and I stayed all night at the university to get the animations done. We were originally thinking of having an intense drumbeat to act as a battle song for the video but while we were planning the scenes we soon realised that the violence we were showing wasn’t the fun kind like in a Tarentino film but was rather horrific and harrowing, so we decided to re write the music to suit the mood a little more.
I liked the idea of having dramatic harsh lines to help guide the action in the battle scenes and to align with the text in a cool artsy way. Unfortunately at the time of drawing I completely forgot the name of the artist who inspired me to use them. It was weeks later that I reaslised it was Kandinsky I was thinking of.
This was a large ink drawing I made when I finally got a hold on some nice grey markers for the first time. Just for fun I attempted to make a detailed and semi-realistic sketch of a Darksider and Lightsider battle whilst encompassing tone, perspective and leading lines.
I tried animating a few scenes on Flash in the style we were thinking of. It’s a little rough at the minute as they’re only tests but now at least we have a visual idea of what our final piece was going to look like.
exploring different styles for the silhouetted characters. The stockier Darksiders and the lithe, graceful Lightsiders. Experimented with the rustic look inspired by the Intruders opening.
The redesign of the Lightsiders was inspired by the alien woman from the Torchwood episode “Greeks bearing Gifts”
The Darkside alphabet: (created by me and written out good by John Hay)
The insertion of vowels into each word works the same as the Lightside alphabet, whereby we insert the vowel into the consonant, however the letters are used phonetically, unlike the Lightside letters. For instance, if I wanted to spell the word “cat” I would use a K instead of a C.
Unlike the Lightside alphabet, more than one vowel can fit into each consonant, for instance, in the Lightside alphabet, if you wanted to write “rai” you could have to split it into “ra-i”, but in Darkside it will be one letter:
We began storyboarding and decided as a group to have our opening as one long shot, so we drew our storyboard out as carefully as we could, making room for the titles and keeping in mind negative space, leading lines and staging.
I started messing around with eyeliner and photoshop to make a Lightside/Darkside look just in case we went in a live-action direction. I tried to edit the picture in the style of the Intruders opening.