4th August 2016
To begin, I was taught how to set up a project directory so I could easily share and find certain files with the rest of the team.
I was then introduced to the website Shotgun, where the company had already organised all the scenes and the shots, and had clearly identified what had already been completed and what needed to be done. I was assigned Scene 1 – Shot 160 as my first job. Most of it had already been animated; all I needed to do was fix some awkward head and chest movements.
In the beginning I found it a little difficult to set up the Maya directory, but I did eventually figure out how to fix the problem and started working.
There was an issue, however, with the image plane in the background that was supposed to show the live action footage that we would be animating over. The plane was not fixed to the camera as it should be, and was instead static, and much further down the page than it should have been.
This made matters tricky when it came to actually animating the head and chest while trying to align the motions to the movement of the human actor. I did my best, and later on in the day I was shown how to fix the problem.
I have begun my industry placement at John Henry’s Hammer Productions as they work on their short live action/CGI short film called “TEX”. I have been assigned the job of a character animator and, to begin, have been given the task of tweaking and fixing animations that are almost finished.
I decided to build my website on Wix, as I have heard many good things about it; that it’s easy to use and allows for as much personalisation and customisation as you want.
I bought the domain name so the website is easy to find.
I decided to make use of my drawings as much as possible to give off a very colourful, friendly and ‘personal’ vibe, so I created custom buttons, a custom drawn background and overall the website contains very few features that were not made entirely by me.
I wanted to keep everything simple, too. I wanted to make sure that there was nothing that was unnecessary, and that everything felt genuine. The only pages that exist are the home page that gives a little information about myself and my showreel, and pages dedicated to a different medium (3D Animation, 2D Animation, Digital Art and Modelling), and one final page to contact me.
All the feedback I received on the showreel was positive, though I will continue to update it every few months.
I wanted my logo to be simple, and reminiscent of myself in a humourous way. You don’t get Anna McCraith without dragons!